Click here to sign up on SignUpGenius for grades 1 - 5
Click here to sign up on SignUpGenius for middle school (6th grade)
Volunteer Position: Tutor
Purpose: Help elementary and middle school students to do homework, strengthen their academic skills, build their self-confidence, and increase their social skills by interacting with them and being a positive role model.
Come share your love of learning with elementary and middle school students! Our after-school tutor program is targeted to raise the level of academic participation for select students from Riley Elementary School and Griffin Middle School. We focus primarily on the areas of reading and mathematics with our kids. Many of them are reading and performing mathematics below grade level and so thrive on the extra attention from adults who can assist them in acquiring skills in these areas. The tutoring program requires tutors to be self-motivated and excellent problem solvers.
- Tues/Wed/Thur - Episcopal University Center at FSU, 655 W. Jefferson Street (Elementary students)
- Tues & Thur - Grace Mission, 303 W. Brevard Street (Middle School students)
Schedule: 20 tutors needed Tuesdays & Thursdays from 3:30 – 4:45pm; Wednesdays from 3:30 - 4:30pm for elementary school students. Five tutors needed from 4:15 to 5:30pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays for middle school students at Grace Mission, 303 W. Brevard Street.
All supplies and tutor material is provided. Just bring your smiling face!
- Attend consistently throughout the semester
- Work with assigned student(s) to help them complete homework
- Explain and assist with in-class and homework assignments
- Sign in and out each time you are here and fill in feedback sheet
Time Commitment: Sign up for Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays or any combination of days
A commitment for a semester is preferred. Tutors committing to a semester will be assigned a specific child or group of children to work with the entire semester and any following semesters, if they return. You are welcome to come try it out for a day or two then decide on the frequency of your commitment, if any. Our ultimate goal is for one-on-one tutoring whenever we have enough tutors.
- January 31, 2017 -> April 13, 2017
- No program week of March 12, 2017 (Spring Break)
- Commitment to and belief in all children’s ability to succeed
- Patient, friendly, reliable, and non-judgmental attitude
- Ability to listen and determine what the student does not understand
- Ability to explain concepts by using manipulatives, stories, pictures, etc.
- Complete orientation/tutor training within three weeks of your start date
- Complete the Safeguarding Our Children on-line class (2 hrs) within three weeks